Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Good-bye My Dear Vovó...

Saturday morning, September 27th, I woke up to the news that my last living grandparent, my mother's mother, passed away peacefully in her sleep in her home in Campos, Brazil, at the age of 94. She had always wished that she would die in her sleep and would "fly away as a little bird." I thank God that her wish was granted...

As expected, I am feeling sad with the news of her passing, but am also thankful for the long and productive life she lived. I'm so grateful that she was my grandmother and I know that the legacy of her life will live on in those who knew her or heard about her.

There are so many reasons why I'm thankful for her. She was a very wise, strong and hardworking woman who did her best to bring up her 12 children (only 8 made it to adulthood), in very difficult circumstances. She had many "sayings of wisdom" that my mother frequently repeated, and still repeats, which I hope to pass on to our own children. She was very affectionate and I will always remember her love and affection towards my grandfather - who passed away about 7 years ago, after 66 years of marriage!

But I think that what I will remember the most about my grandmother, were the beautiful blessings she gave me every time I spoke to her. My mother taught me that each time I started a conversation with my grandmother (and grandfather) on the phone or in person, I needed to start by saying "Blessing Vovó." My grandmother would then reply something like: "May Jesus bless you my child; may He give you health, happiness, and love." When I was younger, her blessings were a lot longer and I would always listen attentively (even as a child, I knew they were special), but as she grew older, they were short and sweet, similar to as quoted above.

Now that I look back, I appreciate this beautiful tradition, but also recognize that her blessings were much more than just a custom. They were her heartfelt prayer that Jesus would indeed bless me, the way she hoped. Though in my life so far I have not always experienced "health, happiness and love" as she wished, I believe her prayers have been answered: God has blessed me with the faith to believe in Jesus, the person she always asked to bless me, which is the greatest blessing I could ever receive.

So to my dear Vovó: Good-bye for now. I miss you already. Thank you for being my grandmother, for your wonderful life example and for the hundreds of blessings you gave me throughout my life. Until it's my time to meet you again, enjoy the rest and peace God has prepared for you with your loved ones, including my beloved son Jonathan David. What joy I feel to know that you are all together with our Lord Jesus!


***

Here are some old photos of my grandmother...


On her wedding day - I believe it was 1936!


Twenty-five years wedding anniversary (1961) photo with her husband and 8 children - (my mother is the one on the top row, second from the left)



My mother with her parents on their 50th wedding anniversary (1986) - I remember attending the party, I was 9 years old!


And here are some more recent photos...

My grandmother sitting on her varanda the last time I visited her (May 2006, age 92) as she did every day for years...




I enjoyed holding her hand - she was always very affectionate!


And kissing her!


The last photo that the three of us (my mother, sister and I) took with my grandmother together - May 2006


And finally, my beloved grandmother on her 90th birthday - I have this photo on my wall!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this news, dear Ana, but what a beautiful tribute to her you have written! Also, you are blogging so much suddenly that I am 4 blogs behind! :) I haven't checked my Google Reader in several days and was happy you blogged four times since my last visit! I need to get up to speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures of Zenete's mother (your grandmother). Especially the one of you, Z and Ana-F.

    I've also enjoyed the pix of young Daniel. How nice that you now have relatives living near by!

    Jacob and I will be coming to Washington from England in 10 days time. We are in town over the holidays, and perhaps we can see each other sometime around then.

    Warm wishes from us both, Marian

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Analytics