Today is exactly one year since my maternal grandmother passed away at age 94. I have been thinking about her a lot recently and all that her life has meant to me. I really look forward to telling Daniel about her in the future. I just re-read the blog that I wrote about a year ago as a tribute to her (click on the link to read) and saw her photos, which also brought back lots of special memories...
Coincidentally, my own mother is today in Mozambique for work, at the exact same hotel that she was one year ago when she heard about her mother's passing. I was happy to get a message from my mother today saying that despite being on her own, she is also well and at peace remembering my grandmother. Thanks for letting me know maezinha, I was comforted by that! And thank you maezinha, that despite us living so far away from your mother for most of my life, you taught me to love and appreciate her. I truly hope that Daniel will have the same love for you, and his other grandparents, in the future...be sure that we will do our best. Beijos!
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi my dear Aninha, meu “rabinho doce”
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for the message of “saudade”, for the beautiful tribute, you left in your blog today for your “vovó” again. You made me cry and cry!
Yesterday, Sunday, I thought of my “mamãe”all day long. And your message came today reminding us that on 27 of September 2008, my “mamãe” left us and went to Heaven where she met with Papai, Zeli, Jonathan David, and with other family members whom she loved very much. I am sure she is happy with them and feeling at peace.
Here in Mozambique, I was reflecting on my “mamãe” and, as in a film, I was happy to remember beautiful things that my “mamãe” did for her kids, including myself and I felt a deep “saudade” of her.
Under God’s plans, yesterday, I was alone in the same hotel of the last year on 27 of September, and I decided to call you, Stephen, my brother Ozimar, my sister Zenilda e Zeli’s husband, my son-in-law Dani (I could not call Fafa because she is in Turkey) to share with you all what I was feeling about my “mamãe”. I could not talk to most of you but I left a message. I wanted to say that I was thinking of her and missing her who was my role-model, my mentor, my guard angel, my star. I also wanted to share with you my feelings of gratitude to God for giving me my “mamãe” who lived a very simple life with wisdom to raise us with transparence, remarkable example of integrity, hardworking, determination, perseverance and love. For all these remembrances I am at peace.
I cannot wait to share with our little prince, Daniel, too, stories about his “bisavó do Brazil” who would love to see him, hold and kiss him. She loved children.
God bless you three . With hugs and kisses, “ de sua mamãe”