With only a few weeks left to enjoy the pool (outdoor pools close here the first week of September) and some typical hot August days, we have been going to the pool a lot. Daniel just absolutely loves the water and so it's a very enjoyable time out for all. What has been extra special lately is that we have been having lots of different friends join us at the pool and so the fun has been even greater!
Just yesterday, we had several of Daniel's friends from church join us and despite it being overcast and not as hot as usual, it was so cute to see them all together! We had a total of 6 little boys, 4 all about Daniel's age and 2 five-month olds. Here are some photos!
This was Santiago's first time in the pool ever - how special! This is when he first entered the pool...he loved it!
Marcus was also very happy!
We tried to get a picture of the 4 toddlers together but it didn't work too well and they started to cry...this is the best shot I got.
The babies particiapted from their car seats most of the time...
Earlier this week, we also enjoyed the pool with Ella, my dear friend Corinne's daughter, and with Enya, our neighbor.
This is Ella trying to give Daniel a kiss!
Enya and Daniel liked looking inside the "hole" on the side of the pool (don't know what it's called...)
Anyway, we will miss the pool soooo much when it closes!!! But for now, we plan to keep enjoying it as much as possible. So if you are ever wondering what we are doing on a hot afternoon, we are more than likely having fun at the pool... And if you want to join us, do just let us know!
************
Note On Cultural Blunder:
I'm not sure if you noticed but Daniel wore shorts over his swimmers yesterday but before, I didn't think shorts were necessary - I just thought his swimmers were enough. Well, it turns out that I committed another "cultural blunder" because I was told off by one of the lifeguards that "boys need to wear shorts over their diapers!" I told her that I didn't know that, that all summer he has only been wearing his swimmers and that they are not the same as diapers, they are swimmers!
In any case, I also I didn't think twice about the swimmers because of my Brazilian background, where to wear a "speedo" is the norm (that's what the swimmers remind me of). Remember the blog I wrote about Jonny and his speedo a couple of years ago? Well, you may also have noticed, that Jonny now only wears shorts to the pool here! I guess we have been slowly learning that "when in Rome, it's better to do as the Romans do!" Hopefully by the time Daniel can understand more, we will be better at all of this cross-cultural adaptation and not embarrass him! It's just hard to keep up with all these cultural differences.
But in the meantime, I have a favor to ask the loved ones that also live here: if you notice us doing something that is "not culturally appropriate", will you please let us know? We really would like to know because we often just don't have a clue! And we would prefer to hear it from loved ones than from strangers who may be offended. Thanks! :-)

So funny to see the 4 boys next to each other with us desperately trying to make it work. :)
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about the swim diapers either! I've always been just on the verge of leaving his shorts off, but for some reason thought he looked cute with them. That's honestly the only reason I put them on. I wouldn't have thought anything about it if he wasn't wearing one. Those Americans... ;-)
I think the lifeguard was just cranky. As far as I know, there is no rule about wearing shorts over diapers, especially one that applies only to boys.
ReplyDeleteThanks Evy and Heather! Maybe it wasn't a "cultural blunder" after all and just that particular life guard... In anycase, it was just a reminder of the whole "speedo" issue which is a cultural difference! :-)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Evy and Heather. There was nothing wrong and I think that they were cranky too. Funny think is that 90% of the lifeguards team this year in Russett and Russians and let me tell you, they wear speedos!!!
ReplyDeleteJustyna, your comment about the Russians and their speedos made us laugh so hard! The funny thing is that the woman who "told me off" was one of the only Americans there. She was surprised that no one had told me before. So now we know why: because they are Russians!
ReplyDelete