Suddenly it was snack time and as in previous weeks, the much older toddlers (Daniel is by far the youngest in the room, most are at least over 2) all made their way to the table to sit down and eat their snack and drink their juice. I immediately thought, "Yes, Daniel is still too young to sit at the table, it's not even worth trying. " But as Daniel showed a desire to join the other children, I took him over and sat him on the seat, thinking that he wouldn't sit for long. But, I was wrong! He completely surprised me. Not only did he sit still, but he also joined the children in nicely eating the animal biscuits and drinking his juice, just like "a big boy!" Oh, and he also wanted to share his snack! I was amazed and so proud of him!
And then my friend turned to me and said: "Ana, as parents, we should never underestimate our children. Look what progress you are seeing in Daniel today!" Her words of wisdom really rung true to me and I said "Yes, you are so right! I really need to remember that!" Look at how well he did!
But of course, I take time to learn things and tonight, my friend's words of wisdom popped into my mind as I underestimated Daniel yet again. We were having dinner and Jonny had made us for the first time in ages, corn on the cob. We had not planned to give Daniel any since we thought he would not know what to do with it. Up until very recently, he hasn't been very good at biting pieces off food like biscuits, for example. But sure enough, he started pointing at the corn we were eating and nodding his head, clearly letting us know he also wanted some. And you guessed it, much to our surprise and delight, he ate the corn just like a big boy!
I think that most of the times that I have underestimated Daniel, I have just done so in my thoughts, but haven't actually limited him from doing new things. But, my friend's words really reminded me that my underestimation could actually lead me to prevent him from developing to his full potential. It could lead me, for example, to not let him try a new activity (and so learn a new skill) or even a new food or one that he did not like the day before (and thus encourage him to just keep eating the same thing). The truth is, he changes so rapidly that I could never keep up with him! So, yes, I hope I will remember this and continue to let him show me, at his own pace, how fast he is becoming our "big boy." Yes, Daniel, it's happening much faster than I could have ever imagined!

Aninha-Jonny,
ReplyDeleteKisses from Papua New Guinea.
I just finished talking to you, Aninha, expressing my excitement with Daniel’s pictures and news in the last blog and now I am writing these comments. I do not have enough words to translate what I felt when I saw Daniel in this last blog, demonstrating his quick and very positive development of attitudes and behavior!
I am writing these comments with smiles in my face and reflecting on how much love I have for this wonderful little prince that God gave to us! I cannot wait to be with you in December and witness these exciting moments of his development which are surprising you and us too!
Daniel is a very special child indeed! I enjoyed seeing him sharing his snacks with another kid. How kind he is! This is a rare attitude among children of his age!
Watching Daniel eating the corn in the cob, made me feel like "grasping" him in the screen! Daniel gives me wonderful feelings! He brings to me so much joy!
Aninha-Jonny, thanks a lot for your perseverance to share Daniel's life with us. Please keep up with this excellent job, updating this blog. This brings happiness to our family now, and will also bring special feelings to Daniel in the future. I am sure he will be happy and proud to read our words of immense love and care we have for him. With God’s blessings, Mommy.
So good, little Daniel!! He is so social... that is great and he is getting good at having his own ideas about what he wants to try. Ohhh I miss him, I want to give Wonder Boy a big hug and kiss and cuddle.!!! You'll have to do it for me!
ReplyDeleteLove