
In the last month, Daniel has started to do so many new things that it's hard to keep track of them! But here is a list of the main things I can remember:
1. Language development: He has a much greater understanding of what we are saying and asking him to do. He is also talking more and more (latest new words are "pão" (bread) and "mão" hand and is saying more 2 syllable words such as "carro" (car) instead of just "ca" and "gaco" for gato (cat). This morning I actually heard him tell Rashell "Baba não mão" - translated as "Baby no hand", meaning "Baby do not touch!" - I think that's his first 3 word sentence! Oh, and a funny thing is that he is saying "ball" with an English accent! No kidding, it's genetic!!! :-)
2. Physical development: Daniel has recently started to: kick balls! Jonny was particularly excited about this development! He is learning how to jump and is just running so much more that it's hard to keep up with him - which can be dangerous at times! We're trying to teach him that he cannot run on the road, just on the side walk or on the grass... but he still does not understand why...
3. He loves reading books and watching DVDs more and more - his ability to focus has increased tremendously. The other day he actually sat in my lap for over 20 minutes watching a "Baby Einstein" DVD and I was amazed (and of course I really enjoyed it too because it was like a long, rare, cuddle!). Since I've been working now from a public library, I've been bringing back home different books and DVDs which he loves. His favorite books are those where he can see pictures of machines such as trucks and cars - that too must be genetic! :-)
4. Signs of potty training readiness are coming strong! He consistently says "boo" when he sees a diaper or a toilet now. Also, we think he is starting to tell us when he is going "pee-pee" because all of a sudden he will say "boo" and grabs his diaper as if something is happening! We are now thinking more seriously about what the next steps are to making potty training a reality...
5. After months of holding crayons and pens but not interested in what he can do with them, Daniel has started to enjoy scribbling on paper quite a lot! The problem is that we have started to find his scribbles on other places such as on his table, chair and drums. We are now teaching him that he can only draw on paper! :-)
19 months... What a big little boy he is!
Do you like the latest haircut? I think I'm getting better! :-)
And he's just such a bundle of cuteness!

I thought this photo was funny because you can really see the large 2 bottom 1st molars! Daniel now has 12 teeth and the 4 canines are just starting to come through all at the same time - ouch! Soon he will only have the last 4 remaining 2nd molars to come out and then we will be done with the infant teething process! Yay!




Hi Aninha, Jonny and DP, GREAT to see all the updates and how DP is developing so fast, but most of all fantastic to see his BIG SMILE back after his fall!!! Kids are so resiliant and it amazes me to see them bounce back so quickly. I LOVED the video on the farm and was laughing to see DP running everywhere around the animals. What energy!! What are you guys going to do in the winter?? Thanks again Aninha for keeping all of us posted. Can't wait to see you all in the flesh in December. Missing you all, lots of love and beijos, Tia Fafa and Tio Juju.
ReplyDeleteGreat to see him doing so well and looking so happy. Idea.. you could buy big sheets of cheap paper and stick on the wall so he has more space to draw or get some kind of white/black board arrangement.Lots of love Heather
ReplyDeleteHi Ana,
ReplyDeleteSo cute to see all the photos! Holly Renee also showed a lot of interest in going potty around 18 months. I figured in a couple of weeks it would be done. What I found was that she liked to sit on the potty and would even go in the potty, but she had no "wet sensor" meaning that she would pee in her underwear and just not even notice it at all. She would be soaking wet and playing happily with her toys. I ended up quitting and trying again closer to 3 years of age and it worked much better (she probably could have done it earlier, but I was pregnant with Michael and so sick!!) I only bring that up to say that if you try it, and it doesn't really work, don't be alarmed. I don't know many children who have been completely potty trained before 2 years of age, although I'm sure there are some! :) The other thing I found is that before 3 years of age, they don't really have the coordination to pull down and up their own pants, so even if they learn they can't really do the whole thing on their own. Anyway, I have a potty that you can have when you come up -- I decided for Michael to just skip the little potty and go straight to having him go in the toilet. Because he is approaching 3, he is taller and is more balanced, so can easily sit on the normal toilet by himself with the help of a step stool. So you are welcome to have our little potty. It's a really good one -- I got it online after trying several that I didn't like at all!
Also, a friend told me that Walmart sells "training pants" which are underwear that are padded a bit. They are GREAT and I wish I had had them with Holly. Michael is potty training right now and is doing really well. They absorb a few drops if he can't quite make it to the potty in time, and don't get his clothing wet. The funny thing is that when we went to Walmart, they didn't have any boy ones, so we actually bought girl ones. Michael said, "I don't like those! Those for girls!" Oh well. Holly sure was thrilled that Michael got flower underwear!!!
Dear Aninha-Jonny,
ReplyDeleteIn the middle of my busy days, I have been visiting your blog every single day. I cannot miss one day without watching the happy face of our little prince Daniel. How wonderful is to see his smiles which are so genuine and beautiful.
Aninha-Jonny, I agree with the comment above that Daniel is showing grandpa Boon’s features a lot and I mentioned this to you few times in the past. How great is the genetic influence Daniel carries and he will be very proud when he understands this treasure.
I want you to know that Daniel’s happiness brings me so much joy. He makes me feel the happiest ‘vozinha” in the world! The pictures you displayed in this blog have shown us how much our “former baby” has developed. His phrases are coming out and his understanding is better. His smiles are open and I enjoyed looking at his teeth! It is wonderful to follow-up his development and upbringing. Thank you very much for allowing us to enjoy Daniel’s growth so well through this photos and videos.
His picture – pretending he is using your tooth brush is hilarious! He shows “uma carinha safadinha” which I loved it! The size of my “saudade” for the “passion” of vozinha is immeasurable. But our plan to meet in December gives me hope and comfort to reduce this pain. I praise God for it. My love to you 3 and kisses from Vozinha de Portugal
Thank you all for the recent comments! Each and every one is much appreciated! We've been extra busy this past week but I'm planning to blog again soon. We are all doing well, thank God! Much love to you all!
ReplyDelete