This evening, we experienced for the first time as a family the American tradition: Halloween. We invited some of our neighbors for a pot luck dinner at our house and then we all went out "trick-or-treating" together.
Our Japanese neighbor lent us a costume for Daniel and he was a cute little dragon! He wasn't too thrilled about the hat but he wore it for photos and when we went out. Thankfully, it was actually quite warm outside so the kids were comfortable in their costumes - though for Daniel, it was even too hot! It was so cute seeing the kids together dressed up... We are just so thankful that Daniel (and us) has such great friends living close by to share this experience with!
After dinner and before we went out, the kids in the neighborhood started knocking on our door and said "trick or treat!" This was the first time Jonny and I had ever given the kids sweets and I got so excited about it when they came! However, I did wish I wasn't giving them candy...I felt so bad about it that I even told some of them to make sure to brush their teeth! Uhm...I think they may skip our house next year! :-)
In all this experience however, there was something that really struck me: When we went outside, it was like our street was a different place. There were lots of people walking outside, homes had their doors open and lights on, people were greeting each other and were happy. We actually got to see for the first time some of our neighbors whom we had never seen before! So in a way, I could see one great benefit of this tradition: it is a time for people to connect with one another, however briefly. And at the same time, I felt sad. Sad that it takes a tradition like this, and in particular candy, to get people who live so close to one another to come out of their "shells." For just a few minutes though it was different... and it made me wish that it was the norm rather than the exception...
The cute little dragon.
Waiting for his little friends to arrive.
The three of them looking so cute dressed up: a dragon, a fairy and a fireman.
With our special neighbors: Irena (Justyna's mother), Justyna, Heather and Devesh.
Little dragon having dinner - the tail didn't bother him!
Our first time trick-or-treating! Daniel had no idea what was happening, but he went with the flow....
The three of them outside the most decorated house on our street.
We then went to Justyna's house and Irena, who is Polish, gave us candy too - this was the first time for her too! And Daniel walked straight into her house - he loves to play there!
Walking with Papai... This was the first time Daniel walked outside in the dark!
And with Mamae at the last home we visited...
Memorable times!

Ana, Thank you for memorable evening. It was so much fun. Love the pictures. Love the one with Johnny measuring the room. hahahah. And of course our houses are the same ;) We are so lucky to have great neighbors like you. See you soon.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! In the pictures he reminds me SO much of Jonny about that age, when he was dressed up for a concert at Good Shepherd in a polka dot outfit, it's the chubby cheeks I think. It must have been really fun... love Heatherxxx
ReplyDeleteDear Aninha and Jonny,
ReplyDeleteThis is just to say that I was delighted to see the most beautiful "little dragon" in my life! How sweet and handsome is our boy wonder! I loved to see your-Jonny care to “educate” our Daniel culturally in USA! How wonderful and intelligent citizen he will be. Aninha, your explanation on the Halloween festival and attitudes of people attracted my attention. I have been learning a lot while reading your blog! But my major interest still continued being to watch the pictures our “little dragon in blue” who is the “passion” of vozinha de Portugal! I miss him so much! Thank you very much for keeping us refreshing our eyes watching Daniel’s pictures! He is gorgeous e “muito lindo!” I cannot wait to see you all in December – next month! Kisses and hugs to you 3. Vozinha
Aninha, GREAT BLOG and CUTE photos of the children and of the little blue dragon. How great as you said that this occasion allows people to come out onto the streets and open their homes too and socialize! Looks like loads of fun too. Maybe you guys can think of healthy options to give out next year. Lots of love, Tia Fafa.
ReplyDeleteVery cute little dragon! :) Michael was also a dragon, but he refused to wear his costume, so he went as...himself! I am actually giving it to you for Daniel for next year, if he wants it. It was actually a little too small for Michael which I think might be the reason he didn't want to wear it. I got it at Goodwill for $7 so it was a bargain! And it looks totally new.
ReplyDeleteNEVER go to Columbia Mall for trick or treating. It was AWFUL! There were tons of people and not very many stores gave out candy. So we walked and walked all around the mall, and then had to wait in lines of 30 or 40 people just to get one piece of candy. Last year we went to the Westminster Mall and it was great. All the stores passed out candy, and we didn't have to worry about the weather. I think next year we will just trick or treat around the neighborhood.